With the world scrambling to prevent a possible coronavirus pandemic, correct information about this disease must be disseminated so that adequate precautionary measures can be taken. Woodland Overseas School, the leading CBSE school in Hoshiarpur, seeks to inform you about COVID-19, its origins, symptoms, and precautionary measures.
What Is COVID-19?
As the world rung in a new decade, a new kind of disease started creating an upheaval across the globe. This disease, officially named as COVID-19 by WHO, is caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), and as can be made out from the name, causes respiratory infections like pneumonia in humans. It has been identified as a novel coronavirus, meaning this virus has not been previously seen in humans. Coronaviruses are a group of viruses that cause diseases in animals and since they are zoonotic they can be transmitted between animals and humans as well.
What Are Its Origins?
The COVID-19 outbreak started in large seafood and live animal markets in Wuhan City, China. Based on early research, coronavirus is believed to have first originated in horseshow bats. However, it did not transmit directly from bats to humans. It is still debatable which animal(s) could have passed on SARS-Cov-2 onto humans. Pangolins, which command a high demand in China due to their meat and scales, has emerged as the prime suspects for transmitting the virus to humans. But till now, there has been no official confirmation from any recognized public health body or scientists. Any theories claiming a laboratory in Wuhan, China as the source point of the outbreak have been vehemently refuted by scientists. Since it is a novel or a new coronavirus, scientists are still trying to figure out how this virus was transferred from bats to an intermediate source, and then to humans.
What Are Its Symptoms?
The symptoms of this disease are similar to those of other common illnesses, like cold and flu, which may cause people to even ignore getting tested. Here are its symptoms.
• A high temperature.
• Breathlessness or shortness of breath
• Dry cough
What Precautionary Measures Should You Exercise?
China remains the hotspot of the disease with Italy, Iran, South Korea, Germany, and Japan among the countries worst hit by the virus. So far, there have been around 50 confirmed cases of coronavirus in India, out of which 16 are Italian nationals. It would be better to err on the side of caution and take care of the following things.
• Keep a check on the WHO official website and your country’s health ministry to follow all the latest updates on the coronavirus.
• Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with a good hand wash or use an alcohol-based sanitizer.
• Maintain a distance of at least 3 feet between yourself and the person coughing or sneezing as the virus can transmit through the droplets in someone’s cough or sneeze.
• Practice good respiratory hygiene by covering your mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Throw away the tissue safely after each use.
• Avoid touching your mouth, nose, or eyes, especially if you haven’t washed your hands as they may be contaminated.
More details about the novel coronavirus are expected to come to the fore in the coming time, but till then Woodland Overseas School, best Hoshiarpur school, advises everyone to exercise caution and take good care of their health and hygiene.