Over the course of time, internet has become a necessity. At Woodland Overseas School, CBSE School in Hoshiarpur, we understand that every child is drawn towards the lucrative world of internet. But the internet is a pool of wide range of variety of content for all ages. So it is necessary to keep children safe from the content which can harm their innocence. Not only the content but other security issues like viruses, phishing emails, social networking sites etc. should be made familiar to them. But the question is how? How can we ensure that our child is surfing safe websites which have no misleading content? How shall we educate them about the complexities of safety and security at such a tender age?
Keeping children away from the internet is not an optimal solution as it will lead them to lag behind their peers. Besides all the security and safety issues we shall not overshadow the fact that the internet is the best source in today’s world to learn about new and latest trends and happenings around the world. So we shall devise a plan through which we can access the benefits of the internet while keeping our child shielded from the attacks of the cyber world.
Here are some advice given by internet safety and security experts:
• Discuss the risks on the internet and their consequences at an early age.
• It is necessary to make the child aware of the world he/she is entering into so that they can step into it consciously.
• Monitor your ward’s activities by using parental controls and filters.
• Schedule their time on the internet, like only half an hour or an hour in a day.
• Ask them not to share any personal details or stuff with anyone online without your consent.
Besides these tips, we, at Woodland Overseas School, counted, as the best CBSE School in Hoshiarpur, suggest spending time with them. Talk with them more often and try to become their best buds so that they can share their stuff with you without any fear of being grounded or judged. “When they will feel comfortable to share their problems with you, they won’t find friends online to discuss their life”. In addition, this will help you to keep them at a distance from any unwanted situations.